View Single Post

Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 PM

Liked 24 Times in 3 Posts

Hey Curtis,

Is that a Weigand front sight base on your 5" project model 29?

I just posted on another thread about possible POI versus POA corrections that could be made to a 629-1 (integral front sight blade, machined into the ramp.) The poster has the rear sight bottomed out and the revolver is still shooting high with 240gr rounds. I advised to modify the rear sight first, maybe cutting the notch slightly deeper (there is only about 1/16th to 1/32nd to work with) and then maybe take a little off of the top of the blade. There is no way to know how much that will help, though. Still, it is cheaper to replace a rear sight and/or blade than it is to replace a messed up barrel with an integral front sight.

BUT, if you HAVE to raise the front sight on the 629-1, the front sight base is going to have to be milled off and another base installed (allowing the use of interchangable blades, OR the front sight milled off and then another blade installed into a freshly cut dovetail. I've seen both done, but I think the Weigand front sight base looks cleaner on a S&W than a dovetailed front.

If that isn't a Weigand, it sure is a nice job, whatever it is.

Regards,
Mike