View Single Post

Old 05-15-2009, 03:50 AM

Liked 4,519 Times in 1,034 Posts

Stiff magnum loads can cause "case mouth jump" with 'blue pill' loads, but I've used a taper crimp for over 20 years with most of my revolver cases, as I feel it extends the life of the brass. I know it certainly does with lighter target loads, as those roll crimped exhibited splitting at the case mouth long before the taper crimped ones did.

A funny story - I attempted to phone Fred Huntington when he was alive before he sold out to RCBS at his machine shop in California years ago but got an assistant who said Fred had stepped out and wanted to know if he could help me. I told him I had wanted to discuss the possibility and costs of having Fred machine a taper crimp die for the .41 magnum ( which was unheard of at the time commercially available) and he took my name and address and said Fred would be in touch.

I thought no more of it until about two weeks later a package showed up at my door with the custom die inside from Huntington's Machine Shop with an invoice for just a couple of bucks more than what one could at the time order, say, a 45 ACP taper crimp die. That's the kind of man and the kind of service we were used to years ago - never spoke to him or met him personally, but he trusted me as a shooter who came to him with a problem and sent the merchandise with the expectation of being paid and not demanding it up front. Rest assured, anytime I could throw some business his way, his shop was my first choice and recommendation to others through the years. A real gentleman.

(BTW - even in the .41 mag, I never had a problem with the bullets jumping up in the case mouth, even with hunting loads. Just relating personal experience )