View Single Post

Old 05-16-2009, 10:08 AM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

I think the OP here has hit upon one of the problems with these fine guns. Yes, I like my 386sc, so much that some accident of fate might have managed to cause the nub on the lock to vanish!

One of my 396s (no lock) came at a street fair in central KY. It came with one of those Gawd awful cloth Uncle Mikes holsters. I almost told the seller to keep it, but it came with the gun, so I took it. Then I decided to strap it on my hip. After a couple of hours of walking the event, it won a friend.

Yes, all the L frame guns use the same general size and shape of holster. The big difference being the barrel length. Some of us prefer open end holsters, others closed. In rainy weather, you can actually fill your holster with water. Open ended ones tend to drain....

But over the years I've bought holsers that have been modified by prior owners. Some look like a razor knife was all they used. Others were a little more workmanlike and finished with a disk sander, then just maybe some dye to match. Its a leap of faith to start cutting on a $100 chunk of leather at today's prices. But I've always been cheap, and if you look, you can find a brand name chunk of leather in used piles really cheap. If the gun fits and the only thing wrong is the leather is too long, cut it down. You have a minor problem with the stitching, but if you use care and "unstitch" below where you're cutting, you can do a pretty good job of tying it off or running the thread back into remaining holes. Trust me....