View Single Post

Old 05-26-2009, 02:33 AM
Banned

Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts

1927 Pre DS, actually a Police Positive Special with a very rare 2 inch barrel. Bought it many years ago for $75 and thought I paid too much at the time.

I've owned perhaps a dozen of Detective Specials and Police Positives. Some were outstanding, but a few were real dogs, so down the road they went. Here's a photo of an old Chic Gaylord design I've made for decades, the Gumshoe, pictured with another c.1930's Colt DS.

The tricky thing about Colt revolvers, is that nearly every part is hand fitted and they aren't nearly as simple to repair or modify as other revolvers like S&W's. This photo shows the reverse sode of another old Gaylord design for the Detective Special, the Gaylord Super Sleuth.

I mentioned in another thread recently, how favorably the Colt Bankers Special compared with the S&W Terrier....boasting an extra round capacity. I still use one from time to time, but admittedly not very often. My "Baby" Chiefs Special rides in my pocket as a back up, and has served me well for almost 40 years.
The Following User Likes This Post: