View Single Post

Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 PM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

Several years back, I said good-bye to my 4" 629MG and hello to a new current stock 629 4". It joined a similar current stock 6" 629, both sharing the same larger hammer & trigger; w/o rear & rr front; and my preferred partial-lug barrel. While the 629MG weighed 39.5 oz, the 4" 629 weighs 41.5 oz and the 6" 45 oz. I added the X-frame (.460/.500 Magnum) grips to pad the backstrap and make the recoil a bit more tolerable.

Some years back, I had a SRH in .454 equipped with a Weaver H2 2x28mm scope - and visions of serious hunting by carrying it in a across the chest holster, due to the size with that scope. It never went to fruition - and the SRH is a memory now. Skip ahead to last fall - and I replaced my 6" 629's rear sight with a Weigand scope rail - and mounted that same Weaver (see below). Again, nothing happened - no holster was found - and it is back to iron sights now. Still, scoped - it was like a rifle - so different from the 4"! Now, needing protection in the woods - get the 4".

It is uncanny - the 2" additional barrel inches really help. The combo did make a 'rifle-like' affair. Sharing the exact same hammer, trigger, and lockwork with the 4" helps. This time of year, both sport wood grips - and are my .44 Special/Russian plinkers.

Stainz