View Single Post

Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 PM

Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by RonJon:
Maybe the crane is tougher than I think, but I always remove the cylinder before cleaning it. I do this to avoid possibly bending the crane under the stresses caused while cleaning the cylinder bores and the cylinder face.

If the crane were to get bent, it's a lot more expensive to repair than a new screw.

RonJon
I started shooting competitively with my duty revolver with my Sheriff's Office (Coconino County) in 1975. That, and decades of IPSC revolver work helped me to develop good cleaning habits. I would clean cylinder (not removed) and bore after each match. I would drop the side plate on my Smith's or Python once a year and remove the cylinder. I might, rarely, remove the cylinder to clean inside and the crane if I could physically begin to feel it bind; I'm sure that must have happended once or twice, but I don't ever recall it. I never bent a crane nor heard of anyone bending a crane from cleaning or anything else.

I just sent my Python to Frank Glenn yesterday to have the crane removed and cleaned thoroughly for the first time. I purchased it in 1976 and figured that after 33 years, I could detect the cylinder rotation slowing just a bit.