View Single Post

Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an opportunity to buy a couple of Smith & Wessons that I found at a Pawn shop. I know the manager of the shop and he put them on hold for me until tomorrow, so I need to make a decision tonight on whether or not to buy them tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they won't be there long if I don't...but I thought I would check with you guys before hand to make sure.

Model 586-3 in .357 Mag. with 6" bbl. blued in solid 95%+ condition and super tight lock up with absolutely no cyl. slop in any direction. Adjustable rear sight with red insert ramp front sight. NO holster wear at all. Original walnut checkered grips and it's the older style of hammer with the pivoting firing pin. SN: BNZ1595. They are asking $350.

The other one is a .38 Spl. with a 4" bbl. and older 3 screw style frame pannel with pinned bbl. It didn't say what model it was (this is a bit older than the first one I mentioned, but I don't know how old). The info stamped in the cyl crane is: 1(with a circle around it), then 4, then 3. Next line: 62743 DE. The last E really looked like a sideways W next to the D. It has adjustable rear sight and regular ramp front with no plastic insert, and the gun is in about 85% condition--I base that on the normal average amount of holster wear (really only on the bbl. end, not much elsewhere). It also doesn't have an under-lug at all. The gun is very tight, although not 100% tight lock-up like the first one is. It compares to what the average Smith & Wesson is like in new condition these days. They're asking $200 for it.

I have bought a number of guns from this shop and kind of know the manager. He's really friendly with me and usually give me about 10%-20% off if I ask nicely and chat with him for awhile....so that's obviously what I'd be doing if I buy these.

Any input on if these are "not-to-be-walked-away-from" deals or if they are just asking about what they are worth? I would consider myself a very amateur S&W collector (I have about 10 of them) and really value the wealth of knowledge I've acquired here. I really appreciate any input you can give me regarding these two fine revolvers.