Thread: FBI 1076
View Single Post

Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 PM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Although not an expert by the standards around here, I would say that the FBI 1076 pistols differed from regular 1076s more in that the FBI pistols had a unique trigger system, designed or suggested by the FBI to accomodate their strange teaching of "prepping the trigger" as it was so-called. This was most likely the downfall of the FBI 1076 as I understand it. The FBI specified trigger mechanism caused trouble and failures. If they had used the regular S&W trigger system, the 1076 might have survived to be issued agency wide.

The other difference as I understand it is that the FBI 1076s had a unique grip with palmswells that was not the same as the standard straight or curved backstrap grips used on commercial Third Gen pistols.

There were likely other differences, but if I were going to use a 1076, I would send it back and make sure the standard trigger and hammer arrangement were in the pistol rather than the train wreck of a mechanism specified by the FBI.

"Prepping the trigger" which was described in a magazine article at the time, involved partially pulling the trigger back when preparing to shoot so as to make the trigger reach shorter. This violates so many rules of gun safety that it is a good thing this "doctrine" has been buried and did not see the light of day with other agencies
The FBI wanted a 10mm pistol with certain specifications. What they wanted was a pistol that pretty much functioned like a traditional Sig. The FBI did not want a pistol that had a magazine disconnect or a safety. Up until that point Smith semi autos were designed with a magazine disconnect and a safety/decocker. Smith and Wesson designed the 1076 to meet these specifications. All 1076 triggers function the same. This was S&W's first attempt at making a pistol with a frame mounted decocker. The problems with the 1076's were reliability. They were either great or really bad and there seemed to be no in between. As for the "prepping the trigger" thing I have no ides where that came from, but I have never heard of such a training technique used by the FBI.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: