View Single Post

Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 AM

Liked 2,082 Times in 606 Posts

Clyde;
You have a very unique opportunity having made a friend who was in World War II. That War was a defining moment in Human History and to be able to talk and correspond with someone who was "there" is something very few people now have the chance to do.
Make sure you talk to him as much as you get a chance to do so, and remember; if he doesn't tell you things, then perhaps much of what he knows and saw will die with him -- and perhaps he has never told anyone.
I always went into my discussions with my father or with the two Phils or with some of my father's friends with the attitude that I should not be "pushy", but at the same time if I did not "hang in there" to hear what they might have to say then perhaps some vital snippet of their lives would pass on with them and NOBODY would ever know what that snippet had been.
The people who fought World War II saw and did some pretty incredible things -- much of it never recorded -- and now they are passing on at a rapid rate and soon there will be none left. As I said, talk to your friend as much as you can -- be understanding -- and I am sure he will appreciate it. If he tells you something neat you think you can share, come back and tell us. You might be the only person left to draw some vitally unrecorded piece of human-interest-history from the mind and mouth of your distinguished vet. Don't screw up and don't piss him off.
Not having a digital camera myself, I cannot easily get more photos of Phil's gun, but I will when I get the chance. That aside, I'd like to see a photo or two of your 1903 if you can take some. I realize it's not a S&W but I think you could post it here anyway as it is story related. Someone will let us know if they don't think that's cool but I have a feeling everyone reading this thread would probably be interested in seeing it too.

I have not yet found the original email I intend to post if I can get my hands on it, but do not dispair, I continue to look and someone somewhere might have it. Also, one my Store's old computers now belongs to one of my employees, and I intend to ask her if I can pop by her house to check the hard-drive; it is probably there because it would have been THAT computer I used to send the original email.
So I continue to look. Don't give up hope just because it takes time!
Cheers!
Cal
The Following 2 Users Like Post: