Thread: Jet Stuff
View Single Post

Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 AM

The following is the Text of a couple of emails I sent off to the folks at Corbin Mfg & Supply, Inc. about the .22 Jet bullets:

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Subject: RE: Bullets for my .22 Remington "Jet" Magnum

I have become interested in looking into the idea of producing my own bullets for use in my Smith & Wesson Model 53. As there is only a single bullet - Hornady 40 grain #HRN 2210 - currently produced in this diameter and it isn't always available. The idea of using spent .22 rimfire cases is also interesting. What I'm looking for is a .222 diameter bullet of a Boattailed Spitzer design with a total weight between 40 and 50 grains; possibly with a cannelure. I already am able to add the cannelure because I have the tool for that purpose. I understand the basics of swaging bullets and have already done some many years ago. They were for use in a .38 Special but they proved to be excellent. I have an RCBS Rock Chucker Reloading Press and I know that this proved satisfactory for the .38 Special bullets. Can you advise me just what additional tools I would need to do this particular project? Sincerely, Me</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">Well, the easy way to do this is just to purchase a standard factory bullet in the weight and shape you want, and then get our BRD-1-R bullet reducing die for $179, push the .224 bullets through it and make them into .222 bullets. With only .002 reduction you'd have no problem with that. The other option would be to get our CSP-1 swage press and RBTO-4-S .222 rebated boattail open tip swage die set. I don't make conventional boattail dies as the rebated boattail gives you better performance and the dies do not have to cost quite as much either. But that option would be pushing $1400, so if you could do it with a simple reducing die, it might be more suitable to the volume you plan on making.

D.R. Corbin, President Corbin Mfg & Supply, Inc.
PO Box 2659,
600 Industrial Circle
White City, OR 97503</span>

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Thanks for the information. Just one more question. Would the BRD-1-R die work in my RCBS Rock Chucker Press?

Thanks again,

Me</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">Yes, it works in any standard over-the-counter reloading press that uses RCBS shell holders and 7/8-14 dies.

D.R. Corbin, President
Corbin Mfg & Supply, Inc.
PO Box 2659, 600 Industrial Circle
White City, OR 97503</span>

I took a look at this information and at their website:

http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&S...tegory_Code=RDRAWDIE

I decided to go with the BRD-1-R<span class="ev_code_RED">C</span> because this one is designed for use with Boattailed bullets which I have always found to be a bit more accurate - sometimes a whole lot more depending upon caliber.

I ordered mine this morning.