View Single Post

Old 08-05-2008, 03:45 PM

Liked 111 Times in 59 Posts

Thought I would give this tread a bump, as I recently acquired a 686+-5 MG. As another poster noted, my version came with a WO rear sight, plus the front of the cylinder is not beveled like the one's on my N-frame MG's.

Some initial observations:

This is my first Smith with a frame-mounted firing pin and the "much maligned by some" MIM parts. Upon internal inspection, I noticed that the rebound slide was black to boot. First Smith that I have had that had a rebound slide finished like this......another MIM part? That said, the internal frame of this gun has the least amount of tool marks of any that I can remember, virtually zero. This is a nicely crafted piece. Say what you want about the MIM guns, but everything on this revolver is nicely fitted. Installed a 14lb.rebound spring, a little tweak to the factory mainspring, and minimal polishing got me a nice smooth 7lb. 12oz DA pull. The trigger is a wider version of the smooth combat trigger that is on my older N-frame MG's. It's kind of like a smooth target, so the jury is still out on this, as I am used to those smooth .312" combat triggers. Hopefully, this gun is a shooter. Too bad this version of the MG came out after Bill Jordan passed........I'm betting he would have been more than pleased to ride the river with this 7 shooter!