View Single Post

Old 06-28-2007, 07:15 AM

Liked 2,083 Times in 606 Posts

I have no idea if the whole gun (1911) was built by Dinan, or just the barrel bushing. The gun is really nice, though, and I imagine Phil would have spared no expense at the time.

One thing I have forgotten to mention, and I don't have a good photo of it but you CAN see what I am talking about in the black-and-white photo of his Pre-27; on ALL his revolvers, Phil had the front-right-side of the trigger guard ground away. Not the entire trigger guard, just the front-right-side, going about half-way through the trigger guard.
I asked him about this, and he replied that he had really big hands (he did, he was a big, tall man, about 6 foot 6 or so) and that he did not like the Fitz cutaway trigger guard idea, so he did this to his revolvers to facilitate getting his trigger finger into the trigger area faster.
I have no idea whether this really helped him, or whether it was just "one of those ideas" that come along from time to time; but ALL his revolvers had it done to them -- except for a Colt Single Action Army in .38 special and a Colt Detective Special which were both gifts given to him by the President of Colt's Firearms at the time Phil was running his "Gun Company" here in Mexico. Neither of the two Colts had ever been fired and he sold them both to Collectors in the U.S. before his death. I believe the guns were taken to the U.S. for him by (then) U.S. Consul Phil Maher, who could manage such things without much hassle "diplomatically". Those two guns had not even been cocked, as I recall. He didn't let me cock them, and there was a plastic-lock-band zipped around the hammers on both of them to stop you from cocking them.
Phil had run a gun company here in Mexico in the '60's under the auspices of the C.I.A., to supposedly make Winchester Model 37A single shot shotguns. But he told me that they made a lot of "other things" there and that the company itself had been set up for that intended purpose; to manufacture stuff for the C.I.A. that they wanted no records of. Silenced pistols, rifles, full-auto conversion units for various types of rifles -- he hinted that he had made stuff for Castro pre-revolution, and he certainly KNEW Castro. It was Phil who had worked with the Mexican Government to get Castro out of a Mexican Jail back in the late '50's, or whenever Castro was jailed here. (Sorry, but Castro never interested me that much, and I just didn't ask much about the incident. It was Phil's ex-wife Holly Sawyer who told me more about the Castro thing than Phil ever did, although he had mentioned that he had met Castro a few times.)
Anyway, I got off track here; all of Phil's "duty" revolvers had the front-right-side of the trigger guard ground away and the Pre-27 was no different. It's something I had forgotten to mention, you can see it in the black-and-white photo, and I mention it just because it is pertinent to the gun.
Cheers!
Cal
The Following 3 Users Like Post: