View Single Post

Old 04-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Deputy:
Interesting...I found this on another website:

The Dade Loader was extremely popular among PPC shooters. The case rims were retained by an elastic O-ring along the outer diameter of the loader. You started the cartridges in the chamber, the loader would bottom out, and then you pressed the center knob which would force the rims past the O-ring. The downside to the Dade was its fat diameter interfered with the stocks and thumbpieces. Worse yet, it would easily lose the cartridges when dropped.

Also, in many scenes you see Harry TWISTING the knob. The Dade reloaded by PUSHING the knob.

No mention of any spring in it's description.
I still have several Dade loaders purchased back in the 1970's for my Colt Python and for K frames. They are exceptionally fast and operate as you describe. The "o-ring" on the models I have is actually a very fine brass spring. The cartridge rims fit above the spring to hold the rounds in the loader.

I used them on the street very briefly until I dropped one on the range one day and it only had three rounds in it when I picked it up. I switched immediately to HKS, and later to Comp 1's for duty. The Dades remain in the box, I used them in competition for a long time.

I'll toss the DVD in the player and see what I see. The shots where Harry actually reloads with his speedloaders my take on the twisting was that he was trying to peel the loader off. There is one shot in Magnum Force when David Soul reloads his four inch Python and he clearly is using Dade loaders and the excellent (and utterly silent) pouch that was sold with them. I still have one of those pouches someplace.

As to the holster, I've tried one on a couple of times. With a heavy revolver they are pretty comfortable... for me anyway.