View Single Post

Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 AM

Liked 7,664 Times in 1,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc44:
Bill...Some barrels on 6 1/2-inch 44 Magnums were stamped farther forward than is normally found (s/n range is S178000 to S182000). Your gun is one of those, except for the 5-inch barrel. Let us know what the letter says.

Bill
I expect to see my gun's letter to say it started life with a 6 1/2" barrel. Ok here is the but and it is a big BUT...the placement of the barrel stamps isn't what makes me think it started life with a longer barrel.

Most of the 6 1/2" and 8 3/8" markings are placed in the same spot in relation to the ejector shroud/lug. Cutting the barrel back won't change that position. I have seen ads for a few similar vintage 6 1/2" pre-29 with the same stamping placement. There is one already above in this thread. So what makes me think it is likely a cut barrel is, plain and simple, 5" barrels are very rare; so, odds are pretty high it is a cut barrel.
I haven't seen a lettered 5" barrel pre-29 so I don't know what to expect when it comes to stampings from this time frame.

Of course at the same time if the stampings were done at the same time and were measure/set from the back of the barrel then maybe the 5", 6 1/2" and 8 3/8" are all have the same place. Most of the 6 1/2" and 8 3/8" stampings are in the same spot in relation to the lug. Cutting the barrel wouldn't change that positioning.

So I can be thrilled if this gun came with a 5" barrel. Either way, cut or not, I really love the gun. It is on my never part with list.