View Single Post

Old 06-22-2007, 07:10 PM

Liked 33,838 Times in 9,235 Posts

Walter, I’ve been thinking about how Phil Roettinger retired to the area where Cal is, San Miguel de Allende, in the middle 1960s, and how Cal has been there for 17 years or so now, I guess. Of course Phil was very well connected, no doubt. But it seems both of ‘em, Phil and Cal, have made comfortable lives there.

While we do hear a lot about Mexican corruption and such, I bet if you become part of the community down there, learn how things work, that you are pretty safe. And it's also true that homes get broken into and guns stolen in the States, so who’s to say where it would be safer?

Cal, I just love those stories. I’d like to hear of any exploits Phil told you about, either in the Pacific as a Marine or in Guatemala or elsewhere, involving that “last magnum,” or involving any other guns for that matter.

Interestingly (to me), my dad was also a Marine Corps officer in the Pacific and later also a CIA officer, though in Asia and Europe in the 50's and '60s, and Vietnam, his last post. He passed on 12 years ago, but if Phil and he did not know each other, I bet they were aware of each other. (My dad didn’t have a cool magnum like that, tho, dadgummit! He favored a Browning HP.)
The Following User Likes This Post: