View Single Post

Old 02-26-2009, 03:13 PM

I'd suggest you might consider a "Combat Trigger"(Smooth face and 3/8" width) for your gun and a good tune-up. The Factory still offers the Triggers and does an outstanding job of tuning for a reasonable price.

I've had a number of guns "Ported" but not by Mag-na-port but I have fired a few gun that were done by them. 38-44HD45 covered it pretty well. The longer the barrel the more area that can be ported and I think this is a plus.

The Porting I had done was done by an old Gunsmith who had worked for Weatherby and I was told he helped develop the "porting" used on the .460 Weatherby Magnum rifles. The porting he did really did work well. Unfortunately, the process he used seems to have died with him. One fine day I'll get around to doing some photographs of the Ruger #3 that I have in .45-70 Government. I used to fire 3 rounds from this gun and then set it aside for a while and go do something more comfortable, like smashing my Thumbs with a Sledge hammer. The day I got the gun back from George I took it to the Range and only had the 9 rounds in the 'Stock Carrier' and found myself firing all 9 with all 9 going into one ragged hole at 100 yards!!!

I'd stick with the tune-up and the replacement Trigger.