View Single Post

Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Late to the party ....

I bought a M396 MountainLite when they were first announced ... mine is no-dash. I've been wearing it as my woods-carry piece on a daily basis since '00.

I talked with an S&W executive who oversaw the development of the 396ML about the 200 grain bullet limit. I was told that the limit was only related to possible crimp jumping with factory ammo. A heavy roll crimp should suffice, he said. Otherwise, there was no reason to avoid heavier bullets.

For the past 8 years, I've been using Buffalo Bore's "Heavy .44Spl." loads - 255 gr. gas checked Keith hardcast @ 1000 fps, actually 975fps in my barrel. The "Little Beast" has a bit of recoil, and a lot of muzzle jump, but I've shot it a lot, and am comfortable and fairly skilled with it. That rig is my companion, summer or winter.

Several winters ago, I killed a moose that got into my dogteam and was trying to kill my dogs. I shot him in the shoulder/lungs with the first round, which distracted him from the dogs. Fired 2 more rounds to be sure. All 3 slugs went in and out -- excellent penetration. My confidence in my 396ML/BufBore heavy .44Spl ammo is justified.

It's had a Performance Center action job, and wears Trijicon tritium night sights. I may have it Magnaported to eliminate the muzzle jump.

I'm not a collector. If I don't use a handgun, it is moved on. My 396ML will stay here as long as I'm around.