View Single Post

Old 04-05-2009, 01:16 AM

Liked 33,298 Times in 9,097 Posts

38/44 HD45, I agree with you. With my own approach to collecting, I have pretty much just decided to do what pleases me, and exquisite craftsmanship, artistry, surely does! (I'm working on another project now, an engraved Detective Special. Haven't settled on an engraver yet...)

Gman, I haven’t shot it yet, but I do expect to get around to it!

Joe, I am lookin’ forward to seeing your twin 38/44s, if I recall correctly, when Paul gets done with ‘em, and your Dan Love engraving, too. That oughta be a sight!

Marc, thank you for the kind words. I, too, believe that I am very fortunate to be able to have something like this gun. And your memory is correct – originally I hadn’t planned on engraving, but decided to go for it when I realized I would have to wait another year anyway before I could get back to the States and take delivery. I am glad it worked out the way it did.

ElToro, the grips are by Paul Persinger, of El Paso, Texas. If there’s anyone out there who carves ivory grips more beautifully, I haven’t seen ‘em:

He is making me a set now with a nude carving for the DS I mention above.

Bowen does work on the gun, and ensures that the conversion comes off properly. I think his shop does the bluing as well. Dan Love and Paul Persinger are independent artisans who sometimes work with him, as you can see in his book, The Custom Revolver. (Well worth having by the way!) Doug Turnbull's shop does the case hardening for Bowen. And each customer probably has his own ideas about what he wants done, as I did.

But Hamilton Bowen is the guy who puts it all together.
The Following User Likes This Post: