View Single Post

Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 AM
SWCA Chairman

Liked 30,921 Times in 4,425 Posts

Pre-64...The prototype revolver was the final design and there are no differences between it and the production guns except for the location of the S&W logo (noted above). It is unknown how many were made, but I believe they made five guns that were either prototype or experimental guns used to develop the 44 Magnum cartridge (probably three prototype, and two experimental, but that is a guess on my part).

S121839 was shipped to Remington Arms in 1954 and given to C. G. Peterson, Manager of Products Services, to develop the 44 Magnum cartridge. This gun was eventually given to his friend, Jack Behn. Jack owned the gun until it was stolen in 1972 and never recovered. Jack discussed this with me at the NRA meeting in 2001 and sent me a copy of the list of guns stolen. S121839 was described as a 1950 Target 44 with a 4-inch barrel and blue finish, chambered to fire the 44 Magnum. It and several other guns that are probably prototypes or experimental guns are open on S&W's records. This is to be expected since the guns were never sold and were made by the tool room staff.

It is interesting that Jack was a good friend of Bill Ruger and eventually worked for Ruger. Jack was given one of the few engraved Blackhawk .357s by Mr. Ruger, serial number 100. It was also stolen, but fortunately it was recovered.

Bill