View Single Post

Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 PM

Liked 453 Times in 72 Posts

Darnell... ya know, I feel that a centennial-style revolver is absolutely indispensable for many types of defense preparedness and that there is no other weapon that can take it's place for certain defense applications. But I am gravitating toward one of my 640-1's for that use rather than my 642. I like the extra power and the extra weight.

Here's where I apply my 640-1 (or 642):

There are many times when you may suddenly find yourself encountering a deadly aggressor up-close-and-in-your-face when you least expect it. Like walking on the beach, on a dark city street, on a trail in the woods... an approaching person or persons who may appear non-threatening initially stops to ask you for "directions" or "for a light" or for whatever and then suddenly, they turn hostile or deadly.

In these cases, there can be no time to draw a weapon from a holster. BUT, if you had a centennial-style revolver in your coat pocket, you could be holding the gun, ready to fire right through the coat if necessary, before the person turns aggressive, without the aggressor even having a clue that you are armed and able to fire INSTANTLY, without even pulling the weapon out. Basically, you can "get the drop" on an aggressor without them even having a clue what's coming. That extra second can save your life. Usually aggressors always have the advantage of surprise because only they know what they're about to do to you. But the 640-1 in the coat pocket can enable you to have a return surprise of your own that can save your life. The "surprise that saves" I like to call it.

So when I'm downtown doing cityscape photography at night, or taking a walk on the beach, or on a trail... in addition to a G23 or G30 in an IWB holster at 4 o'clock, I will also carry the 640-1 in a coat pocket. If anyone approaches that looks like potential trouble, I will hold the weapon in my hand, inside the coat pocket. 99% of the time, there is no need for action... but should things suddenly turn really ugly up-close-and-in-your-face, the ability to fire instantly if needed can be golden.

So yes, the 640-1 is an integral part of my self-defense strategy.
The Following User Likes This Post: