View Single Post

Old 03-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Liked 5,762 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by whelenshooter:
My Grail gun would be the one I handled in 1979. I was traveling from Moscow, Idaho to Idaho Falls. I'd called ahead and stopped at Elmer Keith's house in Salmon to meet him. I'd love to have the 4-inch pre-model 29 of his that he was carrying and I handled that day. It was on that day that I no longer worried about holster wear on a revolver. If you totaled it all up, the one he was carrying probably only had a about one square inch of blueing left! It had his signature engraved and inlaid with gold on one side. Although there was little blueing left, the gun was in perfect condition and was obviously well cared for. Instead of having ivory stocks on it, like I've heard everyone else say they saw on Elmer's gun, this one had a set of magna style grips made of wood that had the head of a longhorn cow made of silver inlaid in the wood. These were the best feeling grips I've ever put my hand around! The longhorn head perfectly filled the hollow in my palm. I wish I knew where I could get a set of grips like this made; I'd probably buy a dozen sets.

I'll never forget Elmer taking the gun out of its Milt Sparks holster, opening the cylinder, kicking those big handloads of his out of the cylinder, and handing me that revolver. I'll never forget that gun, or that day! I have a picture of myself and my cousin (who was with me) with Elmer that is in my gun room. If I could only own that revolver...
That's what I'm takin about now that is serious history. Sometimes I look at guns that I have handled and only wish they could talk. A friend of mine brought me a Colt 1851 Navy SAA forth Model in 36 caliber to look up in blue book and it had dings all over the butt and grips and when I asked him about them he said the story in his family was the relative was a lawman and the dings came from using the butt of the gun to nail up wanted posters. The gun may of had 10% of its blue and I wish he would sell it to me but he promised it to his grandson.