View Single Post

Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have the Double Tap .38 Spcl +P the O.P refers to, and will share my experience as well as a question I have about the claim on the site. THe question I have is Speer's Short barrel load uses the 135 gr. Gold Dot they developed for velocity out of snubbie for low flash. More on the muzzle flash later. If you look at the SPeer site for the 135 gr. 38 Spcl short barrel load they tested it and listed approx. the following values.
1 7/8" = 880 fps
2 1/4" = 915 fps
& 3" was 970 fps
SO, I don't believe the 125 gr. speer gold dots are the short barrel ones most recently
developed.

Back to the DOuble Tap .38 Spcl +P GD Jhp load - I use it in my model 60-15 3" Bbl. chambered for .357 Mag. There's some muzzle flash out of my 3" bbl. I shot it after a couple of cylinders of the SPeer 38 Spcl +P with the same bullet - IMHO the DT is hotter
but not close to hot as the .357 mag. 125 gr.
I shot to end the session. I like the DT though - it shoots clean and I hit MR. Silhouette for good enough Minute of BG at 7-10 yards.

I also like the 9mm Luger +P 147 gr. rated at 1135 FPS. very accurate in my CZ 75B.

and even though the price has gone up a couple of bucks in the last 6 months it's still cheaper than SPeer's 20 rd box prices.

Randall

_