View Single Post

Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 PM

Liked 442 Times in 119 Posts

Well, this is great fun. Yes, I do remember SNC, and did way too much business with Don. But the one I was trying to remember was up on the high flats above Oregon City, and may have been as Wichahoney recollects. "Old Flat Foots"!? Sheesh, I've only been in the business now for 36 years, and still serve on two SWAT teams (though I will admit it gets a little tougher each year to keep up with the young bucks getting up and over the fences). Just a slow learner, I guess. Marc1911: if your wife served with the Bureau during the 80's I almost certainly knew her. Tell her hi for me. Robbt: many thanks for the photo of the Frisbee holster. I never carried one, but many of the old timers did (OK, so I'm a hypocrite!). On occasion, during a foot chase, the holster would get to gyrating in complete circles, and occasionally the pistol would come clattering out of the holster and go skidding down the pavement. The duty load when I got there was a 158 gr. jacketed softpoint. We went through the usual ACLU histrionics but finally adopted the JHP. It was 110 grains, and failed to penetrate adequately on numerous occasions. John Bocciolatte shot a gal in the hand, and the bullet penetrated said hand and badly bruised her abdomen. I'm not kidding. Steve Mosier shot a guy in the face at point blank range, and the bullet broke a tooth and knocked the guy unconscious, but merely lodged in his throat. I forget now if he spit it out or the doctor removed it with forceps. The list goes on and on. As lead range officer the best I could do was to increase the weight to 125 grains and talk them into going to +P. As the J-frames of the day were not rated for +P we issued 158gr. lead SWC HP's (at that time often referred to as the "Chicago Load," though I have heard it called other things including "The FBI Load" since, and the Chicago appellation applied to other loads. IIRC, when we went to .45's (optionally)in 1985-1986 the load was the 185 JHP. Shotguns were not routinely carried until the late 70's (Portland was and is an extremely liberal city), and then only due to the tireless efforts of Off. Paul Maxey. The load was 9-pellet 00 buck for the first few years, then the 12-pellet "short mag.;" the guns were initially Ithaca 37's with eighteen inch cylinder bore barrels, parkerized, with the Ray-Bar rifle sights and four-round magazine tubes, and later Smith and Wesson Model 3000's (basically a Rem. 870 clone with a slight re-engineering to minimize the occasional tendency of the 870's to double feed onto the carrier) with synthetic stocks and also a four-round capacity. I did fight with them several times but never had to reload (that 12-pellet buck was devastating, and kicked like H-E double hockey stick). Better quit now before I get too maudlin.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: