View Single Post

Old 04-11-2009, 08:14 AM
US Veteran

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by conchmariner:
I've read a lot of "experts" claim that the best round for a .380 pocket gun is 95 gr FMJ on the theory that good penetration is more important in that scenario than the questionable expansion of HPs. That being said the guys at MRI do have good things to say about the Hornady Critical Defense round in .380 for the Micro Desert Eagle. Haven't tried it myself.

BTW on the BB issue. I'm reluctant to use my BB in this gun, and have been looking at getting another .380 gun, perhaps a Sig 232 or a Bersa. Any thoughts?
I like P3ATs and see no need to use any other .380.

As far as FMJ in .380 is concerned, I don't agree with the people who say HPs may not expand, so use ball. That doesn't even make sense. If a HP doesn't expand it will act like ball (actually perhaps better. When I've tested .380 hollowpoints in Perma-Gel and they failed to expand, I have only ever recovered them traveling backwards like a wadcutter after tumbling 180 degrees. I'm not so sure ball will, but don't know). Pick a HP load that will penetrate at least 12" or so after expansion. If it doesn't expand it will only go deeper. Underpenetration will likely be a nonissue with .380 hollowpoints given proper load selection.