View Single Post

Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

Whether prices have peaked or not, they will peak and then, decline. There has been obvious panic buying after the election. But, that type of surge in demand will end eventually. And, like every other bubble, the bubble for guns will pop, probably when we least expect it to.

What will bring the prices down? Three things: (1) oversupply, as manufacturers gear up their production and distribution to meet anticipated demand; (2) a dropoff in demand as customers buy what they want/need and cease buying; (3) prices that exceed what customers are willing to pay. On that last point the poor performance of the economony generally will inevitably affect what people can afford to buy.

My last point is purely anecdotal. I've noticed recently, that on Gunbroker, sellers are demanding astronomical prices for what they're offering. But, I've also noticed that very little (aside from the no reserve guns) is selling. That suggests to me that the market for guns -- sort of like the market for houses a couple of years ago -- is overdue for a correction. I've also noticed that my local gun store, which carries guns on consignment, has had several sitting in their display cases for weeks now that I expect would have sold quickly had the sellers been more reasonable in terms of what they're demanding.

Personally, I'm holding off making any purchases 'til summer. My guess is that, by then, the market will have cooled considerably.