View Single Post

Old 11-26-2007, 07:17 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,274 Times in 4,874 Posts

Quote:
What can we conclude from our successful firing of 1,000 rounds of +P ammo through a single test gun?
Osprey - The truth is, not much. Remember, this has all been done years ago, with smaller guns (Model 37) and with an acclaimed, independent gunsmith keeping a detailed record of his measurements of the gun as the firing progressed. Truth be told, I think your test should be extended to 2,000 rounds, just to add interest! This is the same as Keith's test, and I believe the old number S&W came up with for an estimated service life of their airweight guns. Even so, you would only be duplicating an earlier test.

Note that I say this fully realizing that when Keith did his test, there was no such thing as +P ammo. But he did, specifically, mention that the ammunition he used included his handloads. I don't think anyone could reasonably doubt that his handloads were other than garden variety 158 gr. RNL. Mr. Keith was not known for advocating such ammunition!

Others more knowledgeable have already pointed out that any test involving only one sample just isn't going to prove much, as Keith's test didn't, but it can still be interesting to us, as hobbyists. One can't draw any real conclusions beyond that. It might be of further interest to shoot this gun until it needs service (probably for excessive endshake) - just to see how many rounds that takes.