View Single Post

Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 PM
US Veteran

Liked 274 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by budrichard:
Quote:
Originally posted by handejector:
Did anyone check their library for this statement that S&W put out in the 70's? I know I read it numerous times in different sources. It MAY have appeared in Trade magazines for the gun industry also.
Quote:
Originally posted by handejector:
An old Dude's recollection:
In the 70's, when +P ammo was a relatively new phenomenon, the question OFTEN arose as to what guns were safe with +P.
S&W put the word out at that time that "ANY S&W with a model number stamped in the frame WOULD BE SAFE with +P ammo".
IF anyone cares to search the "Reader's Questions" sections of magazines like "Shooting Times", "American Rifleman", and "Guns & Ammo", you will probably find that S&W quotation. Look in Skeeter's and Elmer's columns around 74-76 to start with, and the "Questions" in the "Amer Rifleman".
The "with a Model Number" statement would have precluded the ALUMINUM cylinder guns built in the early 50's.
Unfortuneatly my library for those years was disposed of but I do not remember ever reading a statement like or similar to that.-Dick
FYI- March '76 Rifleman, in response to the NRA's query, the factory replied-

"Smith and Wesson .38 Special firearms identifiable by a model number (for example, "Model 36")which is stamped in the cylinder yoke cut, are designed to fire all brands of commercially manufactured .38 Special cartridges, including those which carry the +P designation. However,the service life of any aluminum alloy frame revolver, even one manufactured to Smith and Wesson's quality standards, may be adversely affected by frequent use of +P cartridges. Accordingly, Smith and Wesson does not recommend +P cartridges be used in such guns."

Also please note, the +P designation was adopted in early '74.

Good luck with the test!

"