View Single Post

Old 03-16-2008, 03:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

First of all guys I want to profess strongly that I am no expert or even remotely close to claiming an expertise in this matter. But, I would like to tell you about my own experience with the model 12.

My son who is in Afghanistan bought a model 12 4" on gun broker that was listed as new. It was made in 1971 or1972. When I picked it up at my local FFl. Two guys who know quite a bit about weapons who run the place. Combined experience of over 70 years, both stated that it looked like it had never been shot. Maybe S&W test fire round.

My daughter-in-law & I then proceeded to take it out & shoot it. I had Winchester 38 special 130 grain target/range ammo. After my daughter-in-law fired about 50 rounds she said the sight was crooked. I said, it couldn't be. Sure enough it was turned a little to the left. So I took it to our local gunsmith & he said the frame cracked. Showed me a very slight crack. Said it couldn't be repaired.

I sent the gun to S&W, since I've learned on this forum that they might help. It was about 10 days & I get a call from S&W & they say the gun is way past warranty. The lady said the gun was not abused & that's the only reason they were going to help us. She said, it was possibly torqued a little too much in the assembly of the gun. I think they were also nicer to my plight because my son is serving in the Army. Anyway they are going to take care of us. I can't say how, because I said I wouldn't. Seems, some guys would try & send in all their old junks looking for something in return. This was a special case. Being the gun was like new.

Sorry, for the long letter. I think, it depends on each individual gun & how it will react to +P ammo. Like one guy said on another thread. When buying a older model 12 you better have a magnifying lens & really look for hairline crack on the frame. They can really be small. Please don't attack me for just saying what has been said by me. It's true & it just happened this month. Just wanted to tell our story so not everyone with a model 12 starts shooting +P ammo in them. If they haven't done it already. We only shot 38 special & it happened to us.

Lefty Lar