View Single Post

Old 06-28-2007, 04:24 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mark; you could do a helluva lot WORSE, than carrying a "vintage" S&W 1917, IMO!

Biggest "problem" will be what type of holster,if you wanna carry the 1917 "concealed".

Shoulder holster will probably be your best bet,and get a good quality one. I carry a "first run" M-610 w/5" bbl., and I am far from a tall or heavyset guy.

If the 1917 has the old style rounded rear sight, I would square it off(and the notch) as S&W did with the frames produced anew in the 1920's.

Lanyard should be removed, and hole plugged(e-z to make a plug from a flathead screw, with shank cut to same length as lanyard loop, and a notch filed for the retaining pin.)

You have a wide array of grips to select from,although post 1953 grips tend to run a 1/16th shorter than the pre war frames,is NBD.
Non magna "service stocks", with a grip adapter, will aid in concealment, and be fine, unless you plan an extended shooting session with leavy loads.

There is a huge variety of "self defense ammo", as far as factory loads, although I'd stay away from some of the "exotic" high velocity for regular use from the older gun. Moon type clips great for speedloading. Most 1917's shoot best with 230 gr.,although one I carried when working in a brickyard summers of 81' and 82', killed large feral "coydogs" instantly with Speers' 200 gr "flying ashtrays" factory loads.

Bud