View Single Post

Old 09-21-2008, 07:25 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,788 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by MattB:
Anybody carry an M&P fullsize in a shoulder holster under a coat? I often wear a blazer to work so I figured it would be a convenient method of carry.
I do not appreciate the finer points of shoulder holsters, apparently. To me, the horizontal ones violate certain safety rules.

I used to go to this gun store where the employees wore horizontal shoulder holsters. It is disconcerting to look right into the muzzle of the pistol while following the store employee to the ammo section, or whereever.

I feel the same way about these Miami Vice "wannabees" who carry on duty using the horizontal shoulder holster. It is surprising how many of these types you see without jacket (badge always on belt) in the various buffet lines and so forth. Now, if they want to go around the station house pointing their pistols at each other, that is one thing, but PLEASE do not spoil a perfectly good buffet!

In addition, making a presentation from either a vertical or horizontal shoulder holster requires the person presenting the pistol to cover, ever so briefly, those shooters on his left which is a great reason to disallow them on the range. I do not like to be on the line with a shooter with a shoulder holster. I am uneasy about having some guy swinging his pistol around, briefly pointing it at me (invariably the finger is already on the trigger).

Perhaps some of you up-to-date NRA instructors will know, but NRA used to disallow shoulder holsters on the range or at NRA matches for this very reason - not sure if they still do.

Well, if you cannot use it on the range, you cannot easily practice with it, and if you cannot practice with it, probably better not carry it.