View Single Post

Old 02-02-2009, 12:19 AM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by .455_Hunter:
Quote:
I looked at that 624 at Green Mt Guns and almost jumped on it last week.
How did you know it was the GM gun?

Yes, the gun has definitely sent a few down range, so its probably just fine. However, I will let S&W run a detailed serial number check just for s**ts and grins.

The "F" thing is confusing. I had my dad check his 1980's 649 and it had a "V" on the cylinder face, just like your 686.

Who knows???
Not many 24/624s get by me!

As far as the recall a few points:
-I kept close track of the 624 back in the '80s and never saw an official recall notice or advertisement like they had a few years later on the 686. The only notification that I know of was to Skeeter Skelton which he then included in his Hipshots column in 1985 (reproduced above). Considering the 629 (a high pressure magnum!) was part of the recall S&W must not have thought the improper steel posed much of a danger to have not published the notice all over the place. The steel must have been close enough in spec for them not to be very concerned. It sounds like it was just a CYA recall rather than some GREAT SAFETY HAZARD.
-Most S&W customer service reps know little or nothing about the recall, only Kate Fredette seems to have the straight poop. Even Roy Jinks has put forth information that contradicts what was in the Skeeter article, saying there was no steel problem. As far as I'm concerned the low-key "recall" was really a non event.
-I would not send a gun back that has been shot safely in the past. There are too few of the beautiful 624s out there as it is.
-The above is just conjecture on my part so do you own due diligence.

Good luck with your 624, don't try to load it as a magnum, and I think you will be very happy with it.