View Single Post

Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM

Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts

The short barrel Gold Dot load utilizes a very fast burning powder so as to efficiently burn
all the powder before the bullet leaves the barrel. I would chronograph them in your 6" and see, they might be slower but that is doubtful.

If you use 38+p in your gun, go with the Remington 38+P 158gr lead hollowpoint. I would pick the Remington first as it garnered quite the reputation on the street as being equal to 45 military ammunition. 1-2 shots will likely do the job required with that load. It wont overpenetrate and will be mild in both recoil and flash from your 6" tube. Few loads can beat the following and reputation this load has.

If you go with a 357 load, I would opt for a lighter one like the Winchester white box 110 gr JHP. This load is not going to overpenetrate and will be plenty powerful. I would hate to fire off a 357 Magnum in an inclosed area, but you do what you have to and the blast from this load is not bad.

I generally carry my Model 28 stuffed with the brutish Rem. 125 JHP that garnered a reputation as the meanest pistol round made. I however dont use that load when my gun is for Home defense.

Just my 2 cents