View Single Post

Old 01-24-2009, 01:44 PM

Liked 460 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by bill_in_TX:
Quote:
Originally posted by bountyhunter:
Most stainless will not accept bluing liquid. If it does anything, it's typically just a very slight darkening. The bluing liquid has to form some kind of cuprous oxide with the steel as I recall, and the stainless doesn't react.

The other thing I have noticed is the surface hardening on SW hammers will resist bluing.
While it's possible, I don't think that the Sig hammer is stainless(I know the slide is, but that's also milled). I suspect that maybe you hit on a more likely issue with the hardening. That hammer was tough as hell and the bobbing was only enough to take the serrations off the cocking part (for a DAO 239).

tomcatt51 thanks. That was exactly the same blueing that I tried, with little success.
I don't know if SIG hammers are stainless. The slide on my 226 is blackened stainless.... which is kind of odd to begin with. The hammer is also black, don't know if it is SS. I do know most gun makers either surface harden or fully harden hammers and sears to get good wear resistance on the faces that rub.