View Single Post

Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Osprey,

First of I'd like to thank you for going through this experiment. Impressive example of persistence in search of truth

Expanding on Erich's response RE: manual of magic spell's, the Speer #8 manual: I find it's exciting read. Note that there were (at least) 2 different printings of this manual – in 1970 and 1971; both are hosted on Paul's site. Some of the SR4756 loads are slightly different between the 2 printings (by 0.5 – 1 gr.) but THE LOAD is not changed.

THE LOAD is a starting charge of SR4756 for 158 gr. lead bullet intended (at the time of printing ) for small frame revolvers. As Erich mentioned several people shot it in old and modern aluminum frame .38 spl revolvers with no ill effects on the guns. I tried jacketed equivalent in 642 and reported it in Reloading section of this forum. Several people myself included tried some of the higher SR4756 charges from Speer #8 in various revolvers from 640 and SP101 (chambered for 357mag) and up to K, L and N frames. Results were reported in this and other forums. Paul5388 published some very impressive velocities for longer barrel revolvers which seem to leave commonly used slow powders in the dust.

Mike