View Single Post

Old 02-14-2009, 02:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I bought my first .40 five years ago and started reloading for it and I also found that there was a limited amount of reloading info, especially for cast bullets. I was shooting 165 grain CSWC and on top of 4.6 grains of Bullseye and it gave me about 950 fps. This powder formula was from a reloading forum and it seemed to work well, now, fast forward five years to this past Christmas. That is when I purchased a 148 grain mold and started casting my own. Again, going back to the same resource, I found a formula using 5.2 grains of Bullseye under that bullet with a listed velocity of 850 fps. I loaded up 100 rounds and headed off to the range. The first round out of my S&W99 stung my hand like a magnum revolver. I knew I had a problem. Set up the chronograph and two rounds averaged 1100 fps. Needless to say, I took the rest of the 97 rounds home and pulled the bullets. I then spent countless hours trying to find data on that bullet and could not find anything, even from Lee or Lyman or the Powder manufactures. In my research, I did read how the .40 is a fickle round using cast bullets. A lot of people seem to think is due to the different types of barrels being used. To solve my problem, I finally took some heavier load data and pared it down for that bullet. I was able to work up a great load using 4.7 grains of Unique. This gives me an average of 850 fps and cycles well with both my M&Pc and the S&W99. Picking up the brass, the heads look good, so I am going to stay with that load. It is combat accurate out of both guns, shooting to point of aim at 15 yards. Moral of the story is, with a .40, if using unpublished data, start with a known base then go slow and low and take nothing that you read or hear as a guarantee of safety or performance. Even with the load I listed above, I make no promise it will work for somebody else.