View Single Post

Old 09-18-2008, 07:36 AM

Liked 1,427 Times in 688 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Stinger4me:
Jack Roy's Gun Shop was located on Hewitt in Hamtramck. It was across the street from the high school on the south side of the street. It was situated in the basement of the house where Jack lived. The shop was small and as I recall it looked as though it was not organized. I purchased several guns from him. He was able to get some unique guns in the shop. He frequently wore a machinist apron and carried a brass hammer in his back pocket. I would guess he would have to be in his 90's if he was still alive. There were plenty of hunting stories with his gravelly voice. You brought back quite a few good memories. Not many places like that around anymore. I wish I could tell you when he opened the shop. It was still there in the late 60's.
Sadly, Jack has left this world more than a few years ago.
You're correct, for a small shop he had some high end merchandise that one would never suspect. I bought a grade III Browning .22 auto which was NIB made in Belgium from him in the mid-70's.
One characteristic of his shop after you looked at the many nooks and crannies was the glass display case which ran perpendicular to the steps that led down to the shop. In the front part of the case facing the steps was a double barrel sawed off shotgun which wasn't kept unloaded[it was somewhat conncealed by other items in the case].
If you robbed him - odds were if he got to the wire set on the triggers - you were going to lose one or both legs in the attempt as you went up the steps!
It was a memorable shop to see - sadly gone forever now.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: