View Single Post

Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 PM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
You're more balanced and can move quicker from this position.
That is true of the real gunfighters crouch, which Delf didn't invent. However it is my understanding that he was the one who started teaching agents to raise up to the balls of the feet, this was to allow you to fall forward if shot so you can stay in the fight if you were able. If you fell backwards you were pretty much just a target. This is what Bill Jordan said in his book, "As to the matter of falling forward when hit; Well, now! It is hard to imagine that defeatist attitude as part of the credo of John Wesley Hardin or Wyatt Earp! There is no point in developing superior skill with a firearm if the issue is to be settled by the superior ability to absord shock on the part of the winner rather than by the use of that superior skill." Well now! what an idiotic statement made by someone who claimed to be a gunfighter. Does he think the possibility that he would ever get hit didn't exist? I read all the books about fast and fancy shooting and practiced them until I got pretty good. I would do some showing off too and actually made the whole line stop to look in my direction several times. Like when Robo-Cop first went to the range. I also found that fast and fancy shooting didn't always work with real life gunfighting. If you want to be a good gunfighter the first book you need to buy is "Shooting to Live" by Fairbairn and Sykes. They have a list of things that they noticed most people did in a gunfight like crouching, death grip on the handgun, squaring off to the target, looking above your sights and etc. No matter what style or who's camp you are in these items will more than likely crop up so be ready. And it doesn't matter how good you are or how much you've trained. I studied western fast draw to develope a fast smooth draw, which I feel is very important to law enforcement. I had a few holsters made that were so fast they were like lightning. I wore them slightly forward of the seam of my pants and drew from an erect stance, until the first day I needed to. It was hard to get the gun out in that crouched position.

Also in response to Jordans remard about a defeatist attitude, here is an excerpt from "Bloodletting In Appalachia" by Howard B. Lee, McClain Pringting Co. publisher. This is referring to C.B. Cunningham, the last Baldwin-Felts guard, of the four that had handguns, to fall at Matewan. "Cunningham was the last guard to fall. Although mortally wounded by the first volley, he propped his fast falling body against a light pole and emptied his pistol at the attackers. With his pistol empty, his knees buckled, and he slumped to the sidewalk." Most people, who are real gunfighters, know- poop happens. It isn't always a one on one proposition.

And of course all this jibberish is just my opinion.