Thread: Belly Guns
View Single Post

Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Banned

Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwill1911 View Post
Bob,

For those interested, Paladin Press is reprinting the book, Shooting by J. Henry FitzGerald and I'm told it will be available in about a month. It has two new Forewords--short biographies of Fitz--one by T.J. Mullin and one by me. (Sorry for the commercial. If it helps any I didn't get paid for it.)

Lefty,

I'll defer to your experience and agree with you that the big bore/big frame/short barrel guns were still accurate. That's why Fitz always remounted the front sight and would often checker the tops of the bobbed hammers to aid in single action shooting "for long range shots." And many fans from Applegate to Lindbergh carried them in holsters.

However, Colonel Charles Askins, Jr. defined belly guns not as something stuck in your waistband, but the "kind of hardware you jam against the other man's navel and trigger off a burst.... Eliminate the sights and shoot the guns from below eye level." I don't mean to imply that Askins in the last word on the matter, just that the "belly" some folks refer to in the term is the recipient, not the server.

I'm glad you posted the holstered gun picture. Please go ahead and post the revolver without the holster so that we get them all in this thread.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin;

Is Tim Mullin an attorney pal of Leroy's? If so we have spoken on occasion and I've made some gunleather for him. If it's the same fellow, he was very knowledgeable about the "old timers" who've become so revered by some of us.

I guess my post was unclear, for that, my apologies. I really wasn't suggesting the term referred to the "server" versus the "recipient", but I see how my remarks could have been interpreted as meaning that. By Charlie Askins definition then, I suppose anything small enough could be characterized as a belly gun. I didn't mean to split hairs about the terminology, but wanted to emphasize that these big bore snubs if thoughtfully customized, were capable of performing well beyond sticking it in the bad guys ear.

Here's one of mine, .45 Colt New Service Custom, my winter carry gun. Looking forward to reading your contribution to "Shooting".
The Following 14 Users Like Post: