View Single Post

Old 02-22-2009, 03:16 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,615 Times in 8,589 Posts

A friend was shooting a 2nd generation .45 Colt SAA about 1967 vintage that he bought used in like new condition. After about 13 rounds he didn't see the bullet strike the target. I did...about 6 feet in front of him in the dirt. It didn't sound like a normal shot. I was spotting for him and he asked me where it hit. I turned towards him to answer and saw the top strap sticking skyward from the barrel joint; top three chambers went no man knows where! I said look at your gun! He didn't know anything went wrong. No one hurt. We sent the gun back to Colt along with the remainder of a new box of Remington ammo and the already fired cases still in the intact chambers. Colt said they would contact Remington.
While we waited for Colt's report he told me the following: After buying it but before shooting it, he noticed one chamber of the cylinder had a rub mark on it where it contacted the bottom of the frame window. He took it back to the gunshop where he bought it used. They filed the frame window a little until that chamber no longer rubbed!!! Three weeks later a brand new gun came in the mail from Colt.

Jim
S&WCA #819