View Single Post

Old 02-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Liked 6,657 Times in 2,206 Posts

I don't see that we really disagree on the idea that familiarization, consistent training and skills development can mitigate the increased felt recoil of the original full-power 10mm cartridge Hot Toddy.

Maybe I should have phrased my comments more carefully.

I think the 10mm requires more training than the average owner/user might be willing to invest in when it comes to their time, focus and perhaps money. We agree that the 10mm likely isn't any body's idea of a 'beginners' caliber, and I just sort of extend that definition to encompass the 'casual' owner or user who only shoots enough to demonstrate minimally 'acceptable' skill levels when required to do so on some basic course-of-fire ... but doesn't do much, if any, practice the rest of the time.

How about the .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum?

These revolver cartridges have both seen a fair bit of LE and non-LE defensive carry throughout the years. Perhaps a significant amount of that usage has involved practice and qualification with a standard pressure or +P .38 Spl in the case of the .357 Magnum, and a .44 Special (or reduced Magnum load) in the case of the .44 Magnum ... but then the owners/users may choose to actually carry and depend on the full-power Magnum loads. I think perhaps some of them do themselves a disservice by not practicing with their chosen Magnum load at least sufficiently enough to have the earned confidence that they can perform as well on a qualification course-of-fire with the Magnum load as with the reduced load.

At a certain point in my career I realized I needed to start practicing and qualifying with full-power loads in both of those revolver calibers. Of course, I can't remember the last time I carried a .44 Magnum inside a city/suburban area, but I still run it through the standard qualification courses-of-fire upon occasion, just to remain current, and I use Magnum ammunition with bullet weights of 240 & 315gr JHP when I do.

Both of these excellent revolver cartridges have served their owners/users well over the years, but it might not be unfair to say that not all of those folks may have really developed their skills and abilities to the point where they were up to the task of being able to shoot the full-power loads as well as the reduced-power loads, especially when things became fuzzy.

I just include some of the 10mm owners with whom I've worked in that general grouping of "not as skilled as they could be in order to effectively use the cartridge". Why do a good number of IDPA folks use the 9mm, do you think? Or a standard pressure .45 ACP if they prefer .45 ACP, instead of +P?

Everyone's got to find their own level, and I think the harder recoiling calibers tend to make a number of folks shy away from them to lesser recoiling calibers. That's fine. I think, however, that the folks who are just handed a piece of safety equipment ... in this case a pistol ... might not have the interest and motivation to ever do as well with a harder recoiling caliber, especially if they aren't gun enthusiasts. When it comes to equipment like handguns, intended to serve a 'bell curve' segment of users, sometimes the equipment most easily used by the greatest number of folks may tend to be on the lesser recoiling, more easily controlled range of the common calibers. The cost of training from an agency perspective isn't exactly insignificant, you know.

BTW, I know an older gentleman (compared to me, and I'm in my mid-fifties ) who owns, qualifies with and carries a pair of Colt Double Eagles for his CCW. Does respectably well with them, too.

I think the newest Colt 10mm is an interesting pistol. About time. I'm hoping it does well enough that Colt keeps it in the lineup this time, and that the other company's models enjoy some increased sales, as well.

Now it's time for the major ammunition companies to get it in gear and offer greater quantities of 10mm ammunition, including target, hunting and personal defense loadings.

Of course, I also think the .38 Super has languished long enough, too.

Best regards. Enjoy that 10mm Colt for many year to come.