Thread: Model 13-2 FBI
View Single Post

Old 12-13-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFed:
KKG- what a great story. I'm curious about the French Police variation and what the background on that one was. I now have something else to look for I would like to find a 10-6 in .357 as well as I've been told that was another FBI connected S&W.
Thank you again,
Eliza
The "French" Contract originally called for the the gun to be in 9MM Luger caliber but without requiring the use of Moon Clips. Thus, the Model 547 "Ejection System" was designed. The French were not Happy with the "works sometimes" nature of the system. The major problem is that the 'short' case has a tenancy to get caught under the Ejector unless the 'back side' of the Cylinder is pointed directly at the ground. Of course, this isn't always possible when laying behind cover or on your back or for whatever reason during a fire fight.

As these were going to be used for their version of the "Secret Service" they weren't interested in something that wasn't going to be 100% functional. Using this configuration - Full Length Ejector Rod - the Ejection process is much more positive. For once the French actually got something right!!

Another feature that the French "required" was the Shrouded Ejector Housing. What surprises me is that Smith didn't adopt this 3 inch Barrel and the Fixed Sights as regular Production feature or at least an option, for the Model 19-3s.