View Single Post

Old 12-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts

Gnerally, I agree with the remarks of TexasStar. I would add that the 1911 auto was also popularly carried by many Fed's, in particular the U.S. Dept. Of The Treasury, Bureau of Narcotics. The predecessor to the modern DEA. A number of noteable FBI agents also preferred the Colt .45 ACP for obvious reasons and they were easily available. Most Fed's I knew back in NYC were packing S&W or Colt .38 Specials. A few carried autos before the popular transition to autoloaders which by that time (late 70's early 80's) became the order of the day for most law enforcement agencies. I think it would be fair to say that classic revolvers like the Registered .357 Magnum, .44 Hand Ejector's and the like were certainly carried by some Federal agents, the Registered Magnum in particular by the FBI guys. But I think overall, that would be an exception in contrast to the rather common service type weapons most other Federal agents typically carried for work. After the Chief's Special was introduced, Colt's Detective Special remained popular right through the 1960's. In the end though, the little Chiefs Special offered compact convenience, concealment and adequately effective performance. I think it became the preeminent choice of most lawmen in plainclothes, particularly in large cities across America for those reasons.

The M&P 1905 Hand Ejectors S&W's and the Colt models in comparable frame sizes like the Army Special and Official Police models probably made up the lionshare of what they were issued and/or carried c. 1920-50. I think that would be a fair assertion.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: