View Single Post

Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM

Liked 1,841 Times in 604 Posts

I have the 3 1/8" version. I bought it as an understudy to my 396 (.44 Spcl version)-- because I have a permanent Dillon SDB setup to load 357s. These guns are "L" frames, and are bulkier than the "J" frames (i.e your 360). For me, the 386 (remember mine has the 3 1/8" bbl) with .357 mag ammo is a lot easier to shoot well than my 340/360 pd -- also has two more rounds. I can even shoot the 386 with the Hogue Batam grips and 357 mag ammo. On the minus side (bulk not withstanding) the rubber grips have a tendancy to grab your shirt and ride it (the shirt) up over the gun causing printing/exposure problems.

I'm about your size, but not necessarily your configuration (wouldn't descripe myself as stocky, but not fat . Because of where I live, I don't have to worry about "printing", or accidental exposure. My all day, everyday carry gun is a 4" S&W M329 .44 Mag. Sorry, I digress -- I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max II inside waistband holster for the 386/396. The VM II is the most comfortable concealed carry rig I've ever used. Can't imagine a situation that combo would not work for you. I'm sure there are other holsters that will work as well. This is not a gun you will want to pocket carry however.

Personally, I like the 386 but, once again, this is a very subjective observation.

My 340 has a set of crimson trace laser grips and never sees a holster -- nightstand or pocket carry (NY reload).

FWIW,

Paul