View Single Post

Old 11-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by DC7:

My own experience with cracked frames leads me to believe that the original concept of this experiment may be flawed--that shooting +P (especially in a K-frame revolver) is not what causes the "infamous cracked frame". It's good, though, that the frame window and b/c gap measurements were added soon after the test began, because that would be the most likely indicator of any problem--not an immediate, catastrophic failure like a blown cylinder or cracked frame, but simply accelerated wear or gradual stretching of the frame. Even then I suspect it could take more than 1000 rounds, and also think that those problems are more likely to occur on a lightweight J-frame instead of the beefier K-frame. So although some members are hoping for solid proof one way or the other, it's unlikely that a single mid-size gun tested for only 1000 rounds will provide any definitive answer to the question of whether or not +P can damage an Airweight.
Now that I have the Firing Line topic and some confirmation from DC7 (and others), I'm feeling a little guilty that my prep work for this test was very sloppy. However, the hypothesis and the test are still as legitimate as a "one time data point" (to quote budrichard who makes some excellent points) test can be. A test can confirm or refute the hypothesis. We began this adventure with many of us (myself included) believing that the subject gun would be dead long before 1,000 rounds. So far, we've only gotten over 1/3 of the way through, but already, I'm starting to experience a bit of a paradigm shift in my thinking.

My hope is to get the test over the half way mark by Christmas and finished within a year. Assuming we get to the end without the terminal effects that many expected to see, then we will enter into the part of the testing process that I believe will be the most difficult....documenting The Conclusion(s). With that, I would like you all to start thinking about that right now.

What can we conclude from our successful firing of 1,000 rounds of +P ammo through a single test gun?

..... sprey