View Single Post

Old 02-03-2009, 01:51 PM
US Veteran

Liked 8,904 Times in 1,536 Posts

tipoc,
I thought I had some info (flyer) on that gun, but couldn't find anything except the mention of this gun in Wiley Clapp's article in the October 1991 issue of Guns and Ammo. The article was on the guns of the Performance Center and there is a small pic of that gun included. The PC did have some reprints of this article early on, if you can find one it would be good to have with your gun.

Just called the factory and gave them my serial number and they provided the Product Code - 103795, interesting but not surprising that this is a non-PC product code (as we know them today). This is the first PC production lot of revolvers, prior to this time they were doing individual guns but found that it wasn't costly to do so, so they started doing small production lots for distributors (the initial few years were pretty much all with Lew Horton).
This gun's serial number is telling with the PCAxxxx sequence. Mine was shipped in June of 1991, yours would probably be the same time or very near to that date.
The Customer Service rep I talked to was kinda surprised that the product code wasn't a "PC" number, but responded with a oh, I see, that's a very early PC gun...

Here's the cover of that G&A issue:

And the page the M640 Carry Comp is shown:

Last comment, this little revolver sold me on what the Performance Center could do. J frames are notoriously hard to get a good action job on, but his revolver is about as close to butter smooth as anything I've ever experienced, in any frame size. If they can do that with a J frame, then I'm a believer. How's the action on yours?