View Single Post

Old 03-18-2008, 12:45 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,414 Times in 3,291 Posts

I have always maintained that the fears regarding factory +P were based on the notion that this is a warm load. It is not. Factory +P is actually fairly mild, IMO.

I would have absolutely ZERO concern about shooting +P through ANY Colt or S&W made after 1930 (I use that date due to my personal concerns over the state of metal tempering back then but I freely admit that I may be overly cautious).

To those who want to dismiss testing as irrelevant, I disagree. I have formal, graduate-level training and experience in scientific research and testing is indeed useful. Of course testing can't guarantee similar results but a random sample subjected to testing can give us an idea of what to expect. To disregard testing means cars are unsafe since only a very small percentage undergo safety crash tests. Nonsense. Seeing how 10 particular items do in testing can give us info. Even one item can help.

In this test we have learned that a random M12 revolver digested 1,000+ rounds of +P without effect. Expectations are that other similar revolvers would do the same.

But this is old hat. I mentioned Elmer Keith writing in 1955 of firing 38/44 loads through an alloy Chief's Special. If the 158/1140 load through an alloy J frame didn't cause any harm how could the 125/925 in a K frame possibly do damage?

On the guns with cracked frames, I hear of just as many cracked frames from using standard ammo as I do from using +P. I am convinced that these were cases of defective guns. Alloy is harder to work with than steel and you will have a higher percentage of defective guns when they are made of aluminum.

I know we are all weary of the never ending discussion and that some will never believe +P is not harmful no matter what evidence is offered. I was convinced long ago that +P is a relatively mild load and it's irrational hype driving the fear and misconceptions.