View Single Post

Old 02-13-2009, 08:22 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

They're great little guns. Yes, its an L frame gun, a 5 shooter. Identical in dimensions to the much loved 696, except it weighs significantly less. I've never looked at the actual weights but I think someone said they weight about 19 ounces, or about like that of a steel J frame. Its 2 sizes bigger.

They've got a few drawbacks. The factory places an ammo limitation on the gun. Its designed to prevent the same drawbacks of other light guns, bullet pull. Its also a bit rougher on the shooters hands than the 696. Saving that weight has a payback when shooting. Its not brutal like the 329 or 357, but its still easy to feel when you fire it. Because you're shooting a big slug at a lower velocity, its much easier to use than the ultra light J frames with hot loads.

These are the sleeper guns of the series. No one really ever gives them credit for what they are. They also use the common holster line of the other L frame guns, like the 586/686 line. Few holsters were made for the exact barrel length. I've got a few belt slide styles that compliment the guns very well. They're light just like the gun, and with open bottoms, you don't have a problem. 4" holsters work pretty well, if a bit too long.

Whats not to love?