View Single Post

Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatofeo:
Um, JnBy, he said he'd like to get a .22 Magnum cylinder for his 617, which would give him a cylinder for each cartridge.
I think you misread his post.
I have a Model 17 made in the early 1990s: 6-inch barrel, blue, finger groove combat grips and wonderfully accurate.
I too have wondered about the feasibility of shipping it off to S&W to have it fitted with an auxiliary .22 Magnum cylinder.
Would S&W do this? Smith stopped production of the blued model, but a stainless steel .22 Magnum cylinder in a blue frame would certainly prevent the use of wrong ammunition!
Is this feasible, or do barrels made for the .22 Magnum have a different twist or groove diameter.
Anyone know?
No, I didn't misread the post.

The diameter of the .22LR bullet is .222 as stated, and the .22 mag is .224. It doesn't seem like much, but remember that .22 mag ammo is usually copper jacketed as opposed to .22 lr ammo that is lead (softer). The safer route is to have the .22 mag gun, and then get a .22 lr cylinder. That way you know, for sure, that the bore and the barrel can handle the slightly larger, copper jacketed bullet and dramatically increased pressure of the .22 mag. That's the way the Single Six is designed.

Perhaps we may find out that the barrels of some .22 mag and .22 lr guns are absolutely, positively the same diameter and rifling, and only the markings on the outside are different, but without confirmation of that and/or an endorsement of safety from the manufacturer, I wouldn't assume it.