View Single Post

Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,270 Times in 285 Posts

Hi 10-12,

Sorry, but I'd carry neither!

Why? Because neither of these otherwise fine vintage handguns DOES NOT HAVE the hammer (firing pin) block that the post WWII S&W .45ACP revolvers all have. To me this is HUGE!

Thus, if the revolver was accidentally dropped and the hammer thus struck, the firing pin on the hammer would strike the cartridge's primer and fire the weapon!

I know of a fellow in Tallahassee Florida who is a regular at the flea market each weekend there. He's carried a 1917 for years, and last year somehow his slipped out and fell. It fired a round of .45ACP right into his leg! Luckily, he survived!!!

Thus, treat either of these guns like you would an old fashioned Colt Single Action Army . . . and load ONLY five rounds . . . leaving the cylinder on top where the firing pin is empty . . . or find a used post WWII 25-2 or 625 in .45ACP to carry for self defense!

I got lucky about 15 years ago and found this chopped 25-2. Man, what a great revolver . . . and one you can load full moon clips into with HOT ammo and not worry about anything. It is, hands down, my favorite handgun of any type!

If you look around, I believe you can find a post WWII Smith .45ACP that will light your fire!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner