View Single Post

Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 AM
US Veteran

Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts

Back in '91 I bought a P14 45 just after they came out. This is just a simple, no frills, hi-cap 1911 type with an alloy frame. I was apprehensive about the alloy frame at first. The gun had problems right out of the box. After one or two shots it would jamb. With the thumb safety on and pull the trigger like you were going to fire the gun, nothing would happen of course but when I took the thumb safety off, with finger off of the trigger, the hammer would fall forward and catch on the "safety" notch of the sear. I sent the gun back to the factory and after a few days they returned it with a note saying that the gun should have never left the factory. That was 17-18 years ago.

Ever since then I have to say that I have put thousands of rounds through it and the gun works fine. It does not like cheap reloads though and neither does my Colt 1991. The alloy frame on the Para has held up very well. The Para will run fine on factory hardball but it really likes Federal Hydro-Shok(sp?). So, I guess that I have no complaints. Would I buy this gun again? Yes, I would. I have on purpose stayed away from the Warthawgs and the LDAs as the concept has never appealed to me. I have never understood why any gun maker would take Browning's basic design and start adding bells and whistles to something that works as he intended as he designed it. I do like the hi-cap concept and the frame feedramp of the P14. Yes, that was a departure from the original but it works for me. I still prefer my Colt 1991 over my Para P14 but that is just a bias of mine.